Despite the extra hand washing and cough covering, we have all fallen victim to the merciless winter cold at one time or another. Those sneaky germs have one job, and they are fighting hard to get it done. Fight harder with these pro-tips from one of our wellness specialists, Joel Hall.
Optimize D3 levels (2,000-4,000 IU)
- Our genetic code contains approximately 3,000 genes and Vitamin D affects around 3,000! Don’t let the winter blues put you at risk of a Vitamin D deficiency.
Vitamin C 1,000 mgs daily
- This notorious cold combatant gives your body the antioxidant boost it needs to fight off free radicals and bacteria.
Minimize Refined Sugar intake
- Glucose and Vitamin C compete with each other in the human body, therefore, more sugar means less Vitamin C.
- Need an excuse to take a nap? Well, here it is. Poor sleep lowers T-cells, which are a number one line of defense against viruses. Adults should aim for at least 7 hours, while toddlers and teens need anywhere from 8-10 hours.
- We aren’t necessarily talking about a boot camp class, though that wouldn’t hurt! Moderate intensity is sufficient enough to increase white blood cell production, which lowers your risk of infection. A 30 min jaunt on your lunch break is a great place to start!
Feel the sniffles coming on?
One dose of Vitamin D3 25,000 IU, followed by 2,000-4,000 daily thereafter.
- An initial mega dose of Vitamin D3 could slash the lifespan of your nasty virus in half!
2,000 mgs of Vitamin C in divided doses (500-1000 mg each)
- Fear you’ll forget to take your vitamins? Hit the grocery store for some dark leafy greens, red peppers, kiwi, broccoli, papaya or berries. Start your day with a smoothie, and let the blender do the work!
Andrographis 300-600 mg, 2-3x a day
- Popular in Traditional Chinese Medicine, this herb is proving to be effective at knocking out your cold when symptoms first hit. Native to India and Sri Lanka, the flowers and leaves of this plant can stimulate the immune system when taken for the first 3-5 days of symptoms.