As you well know, COVID-19 appears to be highly contagious and in approximately 3-4% of cases, deadly. As is to be expected, certain populations are at greater risk, including the very young, the elderly and those individuals who are currently immunocompromised.
While COVID-19 has not previously been identified in humans, its viral cousins have been around throughout human history. Given that we have persevered through many iterations of this threat, it would be prudent to forgo panic and focus on time-tested strategies that have served us well in the past.
While we may not have a natural immunity to COVID-19 specifically, it is possible to improve our immune potential should exposure prove inevitable.
The essential nutrients:
- 400 to 1500 IU for children
- 2000 to 5000 IU for adults
Values should not exceed more than 35 IU per pound of body weight for more than a few weeks.
- 250 to 500 mg for children 2 times per day
- 500 mg for adults up to 3 times per day
- 10 to 15 mg per day for children
- 30 to 75 mg per day for adults
Values should not exceed the Recommended Daily Intake [RDI] for more than 7 days.
- 300 to 600 mg daily for children
- 600 to 1200 mg daily for adults
- ½ teaspoon 1 to 2 times daily for children
- 1 to 3 teaspoons daily for adults
- 150 to 300 mg extract daily for adults
In addition to these supplements, care should be taken to maintain normal body temperature, stay well hydrated and get at least 7-8 hours of sleep every night.
Face masks are generally ineffective for casual social interaction, as prolonged exposure is typically necessary for infection. It’s most effective for those who are infected to wear masks to reduce the risk of spreading the virus.
Don’t forget to wash your hands!
Is it a Cold, Flu or Coronavirus?
It can be hard to tell the difference. Below are the common symptoms compared as well as the prevalence of symptoms based on WHO data.